NMC Nursing & Midwifery Council
• maintains a register of qualified nurses, midwives and health visitors
• sets standards for education, practice and conduct
• provides advice for nurses, midwives and health visitors
• considers allegations of misconduct or unfitness to practice due to ill health.
MHAC Mental Health Act Commission
The MHAC’s functions include:
• keeping under review the operation of the Mental Health Act 1983 in respect of patients liable to be detained under the Act
• visiting and interviewing, in private, patients detained under the Act in hospitals and mental nursing homes
• investigating complaints which fall within the Commission's remit
• reviewing decisions to withhold the mail of patients detained in high security hospitals
• appointing medical practitioners and others to give second opinions in cases where this is required by the Act
• publishing and laying before Parliament a report every two years
• monitoring the implementation of the Code of Practice and proposing amendments to Ministers.
NHS National Health Service
The NHS was set up in 1948 to provide healthcare for all citizens, based on need, not the ability to pay. It is made up of a wide range of health professionals, support workers and organisations. The NHS aims to bring about the highest level of physical and mental health for all citizens, within the resources available, by:
• promoting health and preventing ill-health
• diagnosing and treating injury and disease
• caring for those with a long-term illness and disability, who require the services of the NHS.